WHO is the honest man?
He that doth still and strongly good pursue, –
To GOD, his Neighbour, and himself most true;
Whom neither force nor fawning can
Unpin, or wrench from giving all their Due…
Who rides his sure and even trot,
While the world now rides by, now lags behind;..
A being brought into a sum,
What Place or Person calls for,-he doth pay…
Who, when he is to treat
With sick folks, women, those whom passions sway,-
Allows for that, and keeps his constant way:
Whom others’ faults do no defeat;
But though men fail him, yet his part doth play!
Whom nothing can procure,
When the wide world runs bias from his will,
To wreathe his limbs, and share, not mend the ill.
This is the marksman, safe and sure,
Who still is right, and prays to be so still.
The Cloud of Witness, p. 454
I thinking on that poem this morning and here are some things I’m thankful for right now!
11. little board bridge children made across trench husband is working on. Then offering to hold my hand across.
12. light swaying of clothing on the clothesline.
13. new-to-us table lamps adding so much warm glow to our living room.
14. a whole day ahead, no major responsibilities, ripe in possibilities.
15. my son’s little overalls.
16. Scripture that promises that God will be strong in my weaknesses.
17. creamy chocolate milk.
18. Voxer, a walkie talkie type app, so I can chat away with my friends.
19. a couple of Christmas surprises I have on the way. I always feel better if I don’t wait till the last minute.
20. first lines in a new book, the anticipation of what is to come.